Summary List Placement
A federal judge ripped into the Trump administrations handling of the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals program calling it a “sad and inappropriate use of executive authority,” during a hearing on Wednesday, CNN reported.
Over the weekend, Judge Nicholas Garaufis ruled to restore the program’s operations to almost in their entirety, The Wall Street Journal reported.
Since 2017, President Donald Trump has repeatedly petitioned to end or limit the program that protects 700,000 young unauthorized immigrants from deportation.
Lower courts have previously ruled to keep the program intact and in June, The Supreme Court also ruled against ending the program.
During Wednesday’s hearing, Garaufis said: “I just want you to understand that I believe that we should have a process, a legal process here, as everywhere else, but sadly, what we’re doing is impacting the lives of many, many people, who are buoyed by the Supreme Court decision in June and have been undermined by the conduct of the Department of Homeland Security since then, as I set forth in my decision.”
DHS did not immediately respond to a request for comment. A spokesperson from the DHS said the department was “exploring its options to ensure its review …read more
Source:: Businessinsider – Politics