Summary List Placement
President Donald Trump last week consulted top advisors on potential options for a military strike on Iran’s main nuclear site, The New York Times reported on Monday.
Senior advisors ultimately discouraged Trump from pursuing the strike, arguing that such a move could spiral into a larger conflict with a short time remaining in the president’s tenure, four current and former officials told The Times. Though Trump has refused to accept the results and concede, President-elect Joe Biden defeated him in the 2020 election.
Among those who persuaded Trump against moving forward with the strike were Vice President Mike Pence, Secretary of State Mike Pompeo, acting Defense Secretary Christopher Miller, and Joint Chiefs of Staff Chairman Gen. Mark A. Milley.
“Thankfully, cooler heads prevailed,” Nader Hashemi, director of the Center for Middle East Studies at the University of Denver, told Insider. “A military strike on Iran would deeply destabilize an already unstable Middle East, with ripple effects across the region, especially in Iraq and Lebanon.”
Furthermore, “Iran is far away from having enough enriched uranium to build a bomb,” Hashemi said. “There is no imminent threat that would warrant a military strike.”
The White House did not immediately respond to Insider’s request for …read more
Source:: Businessinsider – Politics