For months now, people have been toting around hand sanitizer and slathering it on anytime they touch a shared surface or object in public. We all know that hand sanitizer can help kill germs (including SARS-CoV-2, the coronavirus that causes COVID-19), but there may be some major errors we’re making when applying the product.
1. You’re using the wrong kind of sanitizer
2. You’re not using your sanitizer for long enough
3. You’re using too little
4. You’re not getting every area of your hands
5. You’re not storing it correctly
6. You’re not sanitizing before eating
7. You’re not being careful around candles or flames
8. You’re sanitizing when your hands are covered in dirt or grease
9. You’re not allowing the product to dry
10. You’re overdoing it
11. You’re making your own sanitizer
12. You’re not sanitizing other items you are frequently touching
13. You’re not checking the expiration date
This article originally appeared on HuffPost.