Industry figures say the government’s no-deal Brexit plans would bar thousands of British lorries from entering EU countries.
Up to 90% of British lorries could be barred from operating in Europe in the event of a no-deal Brexit, which the Road Haulage Association said would bankrupt many firms.
The Road Haulage Association described the permit allocation process as “the most spectacularly badly-run lottery.”
The Department for Transport said it was confident of securing a deal which would allow lorries to continue enjoying the current access they enjoy.
LONDON — Industry figures have accused the UK government of organising a “spectacularly badly-run lottery” which would see thousands of British lorries barred from entering Europe in the event of a no-deal Brexit.
More than 11,000 lorry operators have applied for an ECMT permit — without which they could not continue operating in Europe after March in a no-deal scenario — but fewer than 1,000 are available, official figures show.
Hauliers began to find out on Monday if they were among the less than 20% who had been allocated such permits.
The new system would replace the current one which provides unlimited access to all EU countries for UK operators.
“We have always been clear that this was a lottery …read more
Source:: Businessinsider – Politics